River City Crew Rowing Programs
1. Competitive Rowing – This program is for those who are willing to commit the time, hard work and attitude to improve their skills and be as competitive as possible. The group will meet M-F and all rowers will be required to commit to a minimum of 4 practices a week, to include Tuesday & Thursday practice. They will be assigned to specific crews in order to practice together and improve as boats. Rowers will be able to move up or down in their boat seeding according to their skill and ability to help a specific boat move faster. This will not only lead to improvements within rowers and boats but will help to instill a sense of group purpose. We will be able to assign boats and have them work together on a regular basis. Sculling may also be a part of this group to improve skills and also race. Competitive rowers will be eligible for all regattas although they may have to qualify for championships. Unexcused absences from more than a few practices or a regatta may result in the rower being placed in the intermediate group. FEE - $750/season.
2. Intermediate Rowing – This program is for those who are unable to commit to the competitive schedule, are unable to make the commitment to the work needed or practice schedule, prefer a less competitive atmosphere or whose technical skills are still developing to the level of the competitive squad. This group will meet M, W & F. They will have full coaching but boat lineups may vary and they will not be expected to work at the level of the competitive rowers. Intermediate rowers will go to most, but not all regattas. Attendance requirements for the Competitive program are not in force for Intermediate. FEE - $600/season.
3. Coxing Only - This program is for those who are dedicated coxswains and do not row in the sweep boats. Dedicated coxswains may learn to scull but will not row in regular practice or regattas. FEE - $600/season.
4. Beginner Rowing – This is a Learn-to-Row program to complement our summer program. We get a number of people interested in RCC who can’t take the summer program or find out too late to apply. This program will run Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons. The beginning rowers will not participate in initial regattas until the coaches feel they are qualified. FEE - $200/2 weeks. This program will lead into full RCC membership when rowers are ready. FEE - $400/remainder of season. Beginner rowing requires permission given by the Head Coach - contact Coach O'Rourke.
5. Saturday Morning Sculling – (Some Non-Regatta Weekends) This will be a sculling only program to improve the skills of both scullers and sweep rowers. All rowers may attend with the permission of the Head Coach. It will be on a session by session basis with weekly sign up. There will be a limited number of spaces available and, once signed up, a rower will be responsible for the fee even if they don’t attend the session. FEE - $25/session. Coxswains who do not row during the regular sessions may attend the sculling sessions free of charge. The sculling programs will only be for experienced scullers if the water is cold or rough.
6. Summer Learn-to-Row - This is a 2-week summer program for rising 8th-11th graders which teaches new rowers the basics of rowing and can lead to full membership in RCC. After taking LTR beginner rowers may take following sessions of I/A camp.
7. Summer Intermediate/Advanced - These are 2-week camps for rowers with previous experience. The focus is on technique as well as endurance and power.
Summer Camps are held in June , July & August. LTR is from 8-10AM while I/A is from 10AM-Noon. Both are M thru F.
All individuals, with or without rowing experience, wishing to join RCC as new rowers should contact the Head Coach to decide which program to register for. Sign in under the "New Rower" member type.